Almost every new Windows-based computer on the Australian market from late October and onwards will ship with a pre-installed version of Windows 8. However, if you have already purchased a new computer this year (after 22 June 2012), then you are eli...
Now that you know about Windows 8's main features and all-new design, you might be wondering what different versions are available to you.
The Control Panel in Windows 8 looks largely the same as the Control Panel in Windows 7, except for some added sections.
Microsoft has its own cloud-based storage solution called SkyDrive. It has its own tile on the Windows Start interface and it can be used to share data across multiple computers through the Internet.
Backup and Restore, which was a feature in the Windows 7 Control Panel, is no longer available in Windows 8. To back up your files, you can use the new feature called File History, which we discussed in the previous chapter.
Windows Defender is built into Windows 8 and it can be used for protection against viruses, spyware and other malicious software. It works in the background in real-time and can check any programs that you download from the Web for viruses before you...
Much like the app stores for Android- and Apple iOS-based smartphones and tablets, Microsoft has a dedicated store through which you can download and install various apps.
It's important to note that you can log in to Windows 8 either as a local user, or with an online Microsoft account.
One of the other main differences between the Windows 8 interface and the Windows 7 interface is in the way the networking interface is laid out.
While the biggest new feature in Windows 8 is the Start screen, some changes have also been implemented on the Desktop. In particular, the menus in Windows Explorer now use the Ribbon interface.
You'll get the most out of Windows 8 if you have a computer with a touchscreen, and particularly a tablet or hybrid-style Ultrabook. Using your finger to navigate the operating system is very easy once you learn all the necessary gestures.
Just as you can use a mouse to navigate around the Windows 8 interface, you can also use your notebook's touchpad to perform click-and-drag operations to close and manipulate apps.
The Windows 8 interface has been designed with touchscreens in mind, but it's also possible to navigate it effectively using a keyboard and a mouse. In fact, if you don't have a touchscreen computer, and even if you never plan on getting one, you can...
The most daunting aspect of Windows 8 is its radically changed interface. There is no Windows Start Menu button on the Desktop and when you boot to the new operating system, the first screen you see is not the Desktop, but the new Start screen instea...
This book will guide you through some of the new features that you can expect to find in Windows 8, including the all-important Start screen. We'll also talk a little about some of the new types of computers that are available for Windows 8, and whet...
With no financial or accounting background it can be tricky for small business owners to get on top of their financials. Reckon One can help you overcome this challenge.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Huawei Watch 2 Classic Review: Good watch but a missed opportunity for Wear 2.0
- Far Cry 5's first trailer reveals religious cults and explosions in picturesque Montana
- Amazon is offering two free months of Music Unlimited to new subscribers
- This week in games: Red Dead Redemption 2 is delayed, Destiny 2 PC servers explained
- Any website can crash your Windows 7 or 8 PC with these four characters
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTImplementation Engineer - Cisco UCSWA
- TPSenior Project Manager - Digital Application CX TransformationNSW
- CCCloud Architect - AWSVIC
- FTBusiness Process ConsultantNSW
- FTField Technician - Radio communication serviceACT
- FTSecurity ConsultantQLD
- TPEOI - JAVA DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- TPProject Manager - SOE / Office 365VIC
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager (Office 365) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTCustomer Support Team LeadNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- CCBusiness Change ManagerNSW
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperNSW
- FTIntermediate Project ManagerQLD
- TPDigital ProducerVIC