Chris Williamson, president and founder of DreamQuest, a smallish gaming company, tells me that he is getting pushed by new hires to use Microsoft's C# and the .Net Framework.
I recently downloaded and ran a 1981-era copy of VisiCalc. The VC.COM file weighs in at less than 28KB, which, as co-creator Dan Bricklin says, is smaller than many GIF and JPG files on today's Web.
The most interesting story from Microsoft's recent Professional Developers Conference wasn't the vendor's future Longhorn operating system, but rather, Microsoft's shift away from two preoccupations of its recent past: .Net and Web services.
It would be hard to find a more critical function than CRM. Customers are your company’s lifeblood. You spend dearly to find and woo them, and then dearly to keep them on your side. CRM systems promise to smooth and accelerate that process.
I'm quite particular, even protective, about my development tools. Microsoft's Visual Studio 6 is the only integrated development environment that came out of the box matching the way I think and work. I bonded with VS6 so well that I used it to code...
For a recording industry with a broken business model, last week's guilty plea by three men to music piracy was a pyrrhic victory that will cost the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) dearly.
"Our primary focus is writing apps that people use all day, every day," says Jeff Murray, proprietor of Jeff Murray's Programming Shop. That's one reason he decided against an HTML interface for his Ryan White CareWare, an application used by more th...
I saw a cartoon once in which a rabbit is searching for something time consuming to do. He elects to move an entire mountain from A to B with the aid of tweezers. I laughed. Maybe because I was a kid at the time.
Back when .Net was Microsoft Corp.'s shiny new replacement for boring old Java, the Redmond rhetoricians used to make a couple of points with which I heartily agreed. First, your platform ought not be joined at the hip to a programming language. Diff...
More people than ever are downloading music from the Internet. Many use person-to-person file sharing programs like Kazaa to share and download music in MP3 format, paying nothing. This makes it difficult for companies to setup online music business...
What's the vision for the next generation of the Internet? It's a networked world where there are no walls between data. Where the concept of a "personal" computer is irrelevant. Where information is nowhere, and everywhere, all at the same time....
The next big threat to your PC is about to be unleashed. It doesn't come from shady crackers, Bulgarian virus factories or wannabe script kiddies. This hacking monster comes courtesy of corporate America.
Earlier this month, various news wires reported that Apple is considering offering $6 billion for Vivendi Universal's Universal Music Group division. The speculation of such a deal drove down Apple's share price by 8.1% to $13.20 on the day the story...
Windows Server security services - many would like you to think that's an oxymoron. But there's no question that Windows Server 2003 will be the most secure operating system ever to come out of Redmond.
Computer viruses, worms, and electronic "pulses" could be doing as much damage in Iraq as allied missiles and bombs, according to some cybersecurity experts.
A new tide of demand for high-performance computer equipment is sweeping the world, as eSports becomes a major form of entertainment and spectator activity. With that, the technology supporting eSports is maturing rapidly.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Join the PC World newsletter!
- The 10 best Android apps for Chromebooks
- This week in games: Homeworld's lost expansion returns, 15 minutes of Beyond Good & Evil 2
- The Steam Link is currently on sale for $15
- It's time to upgrade to TLS 1.3 already, says CDN engineer
- Kogan Agora 8 phone: Full, in-depth review
PCW Evaluation Team
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTNetwork Consulting ArchitectVIC
- TPSenior UX SpecialistVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTEnterprise Liferay DeveloperOther
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - BI, Analytics & Big DataOther
- FTAS400 EngineerOther
- FTJava DeveloperQLD
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystOther
- CCMultiple Front End Developers - BRISBANE | React.js | Angular.js | Node.js |NSW
- FTSenior Agile ConsultantOther
- TPDemand Analysis ManagerNSW
- FTMaster Agent - Key Sunshine Coast territoryQLD
- FTDigital Records ManagerACT
- FTEnterprise Transformation ArchitectOther
- FTFinancial AnalystOther
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCAgile Project ManagerACT
- FTCustomer Support Team LeadNSW
- FTProject Manager (Rail/Control Signals)Other
- CCJava EngineerNSW
- FTBI Tech LeadOther
- CCIT Helpdesk Support OfficerVIC
- FTSenior RF EngineerSA
- FTResource AnalystOther